It’s been a minute since I made you guys a reaaal good chocolate chip cookie. That’s about to alter as a result of right this moment I’m bringing a recipe all the best way again from 2017 (whoa) that I just lately revamped to make much more wonderful.
These almond flour chocolate chip cookies have crispy edges, completely puffy middles, puddles of melted chocolate AND a touch of toasty, nutty brown butter in ever chunk. Interested? I assumed so.
When I initially made this recipe I added a lift of protein with collagen peptides, and also you’re welcome to do the identical — see the notes part for directions on how to take action! Nothing unsuitable with slightly protein cookie breakfast this beautiful Monday. These infants are each gluten free and grain free however style completely decadent. I really like that they’re made in a single bowl and simply so occur to be scrumptious straight from the freezer, too.
Your newest simple weekday dessert scenario = sorted.
Ingredients in these almond flour chocolate chip cookies
I completely love baking up batches of those grain free almond flour chocolate chip cookies as a result of they use simple baking staples and actually make the very best, easy dessert. Here’s every part you’ll have to make them:
- Almond flour: you guessed it — the bottom of those cookies is almond flour! This retains the cookies gluten free and grain free whereas additionally offering wholesome fat and wonderful taste. Be positive to make use of a high-quality, blanched almond flour.
- Brown sugar: we’re sweetening these cookies with brown sugar to present them an exquisite, molasses taste.
- Butter: the key ingredient in these almond flour cookies? Browning the butter! It provides a heat, nutty, caramel-like taste that’s completely addicting. I like to make use of salted butter for much more taste.
- Egg: you’ll want one egg on this cookie recipe.
- Baking staples: don’t neglect the vanilla extract, baking soda and salt. I really like sprinkling some fancy Maldon sea salt on prime, too.
- Chocolate chips: gotta have these melty bites of chocolate in every cookie. YUM.
Recommended ingredient swaps
Here’s what I can suggest (and what I don’t suggest) for substitutions in these wholesome almond flour chocolate chip cookies:
- For the butter: be happy to make use of vegan butter, ghee or coconut oil. Just know that you just can not brown any of these choices.
- For the egg: I believe a flax egg ought to work properly on this recipe. Let me know when you attempt it! Then be sure you use dairy free butter or coconut oil to maintain the cookies vegan, in addition to vegan/dairy free chocolate chips.
- For the brown sugar: be happy to make use of coconut sugar to maintain the cookies refined sugar free.
- For the almond flour: sadly, I can not suggest a sub for the almond flour, so please don’t attempt utilizing one other flour.
Turn them into protein cookies
When I initially made this recipe I really used Vital Proteins collagen peptides to present them a lift of protein! I’ve since up to date the recipe, however when you’d like a protein increase you possibly can add 1/4 cup protein powder or collagen peptides when you add within the different dry substances.
How to brown butter
As I discussed, brown butter actually takes the flavour of those almond flour chocolate chip cookies to the subsequent degree. If you’ve by no means browned butter earlier than, you’re in luck! It’s tremendous simple:
- Add butter to a small saucepan and place over medium warmth.
- Once melted, the butter will start to crackle, after which ultimately foam. This will take a couple of minutes. Make positive you whisk continually throughout this course of.
- After a few minutes, the butter will start to brown and switch a pleasant golden amber shade on the underside of the saucepan. Continue to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma.
- Set apart and let the butter cool for 10 minutes earlier than including it to your cookie dough.
One bowl almond flour chocolate chip cookies
- Prep your pan. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 levels F.
- Brown the butter. Use the directions above (and inside the recipe beneath) to make your brown butter.
- Mix the moist substances. Add the cooled, brown butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla to a large bowl and blend till clean.
- Stir within the dry. Add the almond flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl and blend till mixed. Then fold within the chocolate chips.
- Make dough balls. Use a medium cookie scoop to form the dough into balls and place them in your baking sheet 2 inches aside.
- Bake, cool & devour. Bake these infants for about 11-Quarter-hour or till they begin to flip barely golden brown on the perimeters. After baking, let the cool for 10-Quarter-hour on the baking sheet earlier than transferring them to a wire rack. Then devour and even freeze them for later!
Our greatest cookie baking suggestions
- Use room temp substances. Be positive to let the brown butter cool utterly and use a room temperature egg in order that the moist substances don’t coagulate. Run your egg underneath heat water for a few minutes to carry it to room temperature.
- Pack these substances. Remember to pack each the brown sugar and the almond flour in order that the almond flour chocolate chip cookies have the correct consistency.
- Do not overbake. When baking with a gluten free flour like almond flour, the cookies would possibly look a bit underdone on the tops even after they’re prepared to return out of the oven. That’s why it’s necessary to take them out proper when the cookies start to show golden brown on the perimeters. No one likes overbaked cookies!
Choose your cookie thickness
I really like thicker cookies with these crisp edges, however when you’re a fan of thinner cookies you possibly can merely flatten them out a bit after inserting the dough balls in your cookie sheet. A 1/2 inch thick or 1/4 inch thick will probably be thinner however nonetheless scrumptious!
Freezer-friendly almond flour chocolate chip cookies
These cookies are literally scrumptious straight from the freezer! Here are two methods to freeze them:
- Freeze the dough. To freeze the dough, merely roll it into particular person balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill the dough within the freezer for half-hour. Once the cookie dough balls agency up, switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container for as much as 3 months. When able to bake, merely thaw out the dough and bake the grain free almond flour chocolate chip cookies as directed. You’ll doubtless simply want so as to add a couple of additional minutes of baking time!
- Freeze the baked almond flour chocolate chip cookies. You can even freeze your baked cookies for later. Wait for them to chill utterly, then switch them to a reusable freezer-safe bag or container lined with wax or parchment paper. I like to put them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. Cookies will hold properly for as much as 2 months. Once able to eat, be happy to eat them straight from the freezer or just thaw out at room temperature and revel in.
Our fav cookie instruments
Check out all of our fav kitchen essentials here.
More methods to make use of almond flour
Get all of our almond flour recipes here!
I hope you’re keen on these almond flour chocolate chip cookies! If you make them be sure you go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you favored them. Enjoy, xo!
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Deliciously comfortable, grain free almond flour chocolate chip cookies with wealthy, caramel-like taste from brown butter and gooey chocolate in each chunk. These cookies are simple to make and the right weekday deal with! Options so as to add a lift of protein and make vegan included.
butter (I like utilizing salted butter)
packed brown sugar
egg, at room temperature
packed high-quality blanched almond flour
- Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling on prime
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
Brown your butter: add butter to a small saucepan and place over medium warmth. The butter will start to soften, crackle, after which ultimately foam. Make positive you whisk continually throughout this course of. After a few minutes, the butter will start to brown and switch a pleasant golden amber shade on the underside of the saucepan, this often occurs as soon as it foams. Continue to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma. Immediately switch the butter to a medium bowl to forestall burning, ensuring you scrape all of the butter from the pan. Set apart to chill for 10 minutes.
In a big bowl, combine collectively the brown butter (or ghee or coconut oil), brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract till clean and creamy.
Next stir in almond flour, baking soda, and salt till simply mixed. Fold in chocolate chips.
Use a medium cooking scoop to seize dough and place onto the ready baking sheet about 2 inches aside. If you need thinner/flatter cookies, you possibly can flatten them in order that they’re about ½ inch thick. You may even do ¼ inch thick when you like extra flat cookies.
Bake for 11-Quarter-hour till cookies start to show golden brown on the perimeters. The longer you bake them the extra crispy they’ll be. They could look underdone on the tops, however that’s simply because they’re made with almond flour.
Allow cookies to chill for 10-Quarter-hour on the baking sheet earlier than transferring to a wire rack to complete cooling. Enjoy with a glass of your favourite non-dairy milk or freeze them for later! They are wonderful when you eat them frozen too! Makes about 12-14 cookies.
Do not try to make use of coconut flour or some other flour on this recipe. It won’t work.
Please know you can not brown vegan or dairy free butter. However you possibly can sub in melted vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter when you’d like.
To make vegan: I believe a flax egg would work properly as a alternative for the eggs on this recipe. Let me know when you attempt it. Also be sure you use melted vegan butter or coconut oil.
To make protein cookies: I’ve made these into protein cookies earlier than by including in ¼ cup protein powder whereas I add within the different dry substances. I’ve solely examined them with Vital Proteins collagen powder however they had been scrumptious!
Servings: 14 cookies
Serving dimension: 1 cookie
Saturated fats: 3.6g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially printed on December 7, 2017, and republished with an up to date recipe on September 20, 2021.