Right together with politics and the simplest solution to load a dishwasher, defining the right chocolate chip cookie is assured to spark a debate. The profitable argument: chewy Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies!
Chocolate chip cookies are a supply of (principally) good-spirited debate in our family.
Which is the best chocolate chip cookie?
- Is it chewy or crispy?
- Fluffy or flat?
- Nuts or no nuts?
- Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
Though I do know you’re narrating a declarative reply to every of those questions in your head, at present I’m excited to let you know about my second favourite chocolate chip cookie of all time: chocolate chip walnut cookies.
- Gratifyingly chewy
- Not too thick and not too skinny
- Punctuated with toasty walnuts (you’ll like ’em!)
- Dark chocolate is the one chocolate that has enterprise in my cookie dough
The World’s Best Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
Wondering the place my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time could be discovered? My cookbook!
Those cookies are the world’s greatest and value a replica alone. YES, I SAID IT.
While I’m no stranger to gussying up a chocolate chip cookie (Banana Oatmeal Cookies with chocolate chips, Zucchini Cookies with chocolate chips, and Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are three faves) or doubling up on the chocolate (hi there, Dark Chocolate Cookies), I am keen on traditional chocolate chip cookies with all of my coronary heart.
If you’re a fan of soppy, chewy cookies made with extra nutritious components, you’ll fall for them too!
5 Star Review
“These are our new favorite chocolate chip cookie, by far. We cannot keep enough on hand. SO delicious and they keep really well and stay chewy for literally weeks. They’re the current favorite dessert in our household, and I have made them several times now!”
— Anna —
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
This recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip walnut cookies is impressed by the thick, chewy DoubleTree Hotel chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (in case you’ve stayed at a DoubleTree, those).
I revamped the unique recipe to swimsuit my ideally suited cookie preferences.
- They are ooey-gooey (sorry skinny, crispy cookie-lovers; these are for my fellow chewy followers).
- Use all butter (key for the fullest taste).
- Have extra brown sugar than white (for additional softness).
- As with my full lineup of healthy cookie recipes, I used entire grains, with out sacrificing style or an oz of cookie softness.
- Oats + Flour. Regular readers know I’m a critical advocate for incorporating entire grains wherever attainable, however by no means on the expense of style. These cookies are 100% entire grain, due to a mixture of floor oats, which give the cookies additional physique and chewiness (suppose the DoubleTree Hotel cookie) and white entire wheat flour.
- Butter. We’re going all in with the butter on this recipe. It’s essential for reaching the right taste and texture. (Prefer a chocolate chip cookie made with out butter? Check out my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies or Healthy Oatmeal Cookies.)
- Dark Brown Sugar. Makes our cookies deliciously candy, moist, and chewy.
- Espresso. Though you may’t style the espresso taste within the cookies, the espresso intensifies the chocolate taste. It is magical and properly value attempting!
- Cinnamon. A pinch for additional heat. It’s refined, however fully delectable and provides one other dimension of taste.
- Vanilla. Vanilla anchors the chocolate and espresso, so no imitators please! We are baking cookies from scratch, so let’s use actual, pure vanilla extract and do them justice lets?
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This ingredient sounds odd, however belief. It retains the cookies from being too candy and tempers the style of the entire grains.
- Dark Chocolate Chips. Good high quality chocolate chips are essential to creating the best-possible chocolate chip cookie. After all, what’s a chocolate chip cookie with out the melt-in-your-mouth chocolatey goodness?
- Walnuts. Old long-established chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are a traditional for a cause. Finely chopped, walnuts add an additional richness and toastiness to the cookies with out overpowering them.
- Grind the oats. Mix them with the flour in a bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugars, vanilla, espresso, cinnamon, and salt collectively.
- Add the baking soda, vinegar, and egg.
- Incorporate the dry components. Add the chocolate chips and walnuts. Chill within the fridge in a single day (it’s value it!).
- Drop the dough onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 levels F for 9 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then switch to a wire rack. DIG IN!
Chilling Cookie Dough
For cookies with a richer taste and that received’t unfold on the baking sheet, YES you might want to chill the dough.
- Allowing the dough to relax in a single day within the fridge provides the flavors time to get pleasant, permits the moist and dry components to completely incorporate, and ends in a cookie of superior style and texture.
- To Store. Leftover cookies will maintain in an hermetic storage container at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- To Freeze. Freeze baked cookies in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw and revel in as desired.
Meal Prep Tip
You can put together the cookie dough prematurely and freeze it for straightforward cookies on demand. This is right for last-minute entertaining (or late-night “emergencies”).
- Prepare the cookie dough, and drop it as directed onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Freeze till strong.
- Transfer the frozen cookie dough balls to an hermetic freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag.
- Bake straight from frozen on demand, including just a few additional minutes to the baking time.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
The Best Food Processor
Whether you’re getting ready components for cookie dough or making a scrumptious dip, this high-quality meals processor is the perfect kitchen software to have.
OK, now that I’ve given you the complete spectrum of what makes these chocolate chip walnut cookies my concept of the right chocolate chip cookie, here’s what you really must know: these cookies are out-of-control superb.
I’m sorry, that wasn’t very meals bloggerish of me.
I ought to have written you a stunning description about how these cookies have a superbly mushy and flippantly chewy texture from the bottom oats and brown sugar, deep darkish chocolate taste intensified by espresso, plus heat from the cinnamon, toasted walnuts, and good high quality vanilla—all whereas being not overly candy and 100% entire grain.
Like I mentioned, out-of-control-amazing.
Though I do know you may have a favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe of your personal, I sincerely hope that you just give these chocolate chip walnut cookies (or the World’s Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies from my cookbook) a strive very quickly!
Frequently Asked Questions
While I’m keen on the flavour of darkish chocolate chips, you can also make these into milk chocolate chip walnut cookies as a substitute. Just ensure to make use of good-quality chocolate chips.
The espresso powder amplifies the chocolate taste and makes these cookies style actually particular, so I extremely suggest utilizing it. However, it’s non-compulsory, so you may omit it in case you favor.
Letting the dough chill is vital for each the style and texture of those cookies. I’ve discovered that letting it chill in a single day produced the perfect outcomes, however even an hour of time within the fridge will assist.
While oat flour is a better swap than most for wheat flour, I’ve not examined the cookies this fashion. Oats have distinctive properties and don’t react the identical manner in baking as different flours do.
If you’re craving chocolate chip cookies and don’t have any oats readily available, take a look at my different scrumptious cookie recipes for inspiration.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white entire wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup darkish brown sugar, flippantly packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (non-compulsory however scrumptious)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 massive egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
In a blender or meals processor, grind oats till high-quality. Transfer to a small bowl, then stir along with the entire wheat flour. Set apart.
In a big bowl, beat collectively the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt till easy.
Beat within the baking soda, vinegar, and egg.
By hand, stir within the flour combination, then the chocolate chips and walnuts, simply till mixed. For the perfect outcomes, cowl and chill within the fridge in a single day.
Place rack within the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets, then bake for 9 minutes, till the bottoms of the cookies are barely starting to brown. The cookies could seem underdone.
Remove cookies from oven, let cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill fully.
- TO STORE: Leftover cookies will maintain in an hermetic storage container at room temperature for as much as 1 week. They will lose a little bit of softness however nonetheless be completely scrumptious.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze baked cookies in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for as much as 3 months. Thaw and revel in as desired.
- TO MAKE IN ADVANCE: You can put together the cookie dough prematurely and freeze it for straightforward cookies on demand. Prepare the cookie dough, and drop it as directed onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. Freeze till strong. Transfer the frozen cookie dough balls to an hermetic freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag. Bake straight from frozen as wanted, including just a few additional minutes to the baking time.
Serving: 1(of 26)Calories: 126kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 2gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgPotassium: 74mgFiber: 1gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 91IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1mg
Join at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.